Saturday, April 11, 2015

Step on it


The other day I was driving my car. His name is Mo, in case you were wondering. Eventually I found myself stopped at a four-way stop sign, with no other car in sight. But instead of looking both ways and then continuing on my journey, I just sat there.

Car completely stopped.

I don't know how long I sat there before I realized I could go. I was completely capable of taking my foot off the break and moving forward, but I seemed to be waiting for some kind of signal (maybe a green one) that would tell me I could go.

Typical day in the life of Bailey. I laughed at myself all the way to my destination.

You are probably wondering why on earth I am telling you this story, but I have a good reason. Really I do.

I found that with my life I've been sitting at a stop sign. Life is flying by. Day after day. List after list. Even in the chaos of life God is calling me to serve Him but I've let myself sit at this same stupid stop sign for far too long. We are on a journey and this life is not a stop sign. It's a highway.

Let's not all brake out in Rascall Flatts.

Oh my goodness. Get it? As in a car brake? Oh, I'm just full of classy jokes.

Let's continue.

Is there something God has been calling you to do that you have been putting off? Have you decided that this stop sign is a safe place and until there's some kind of big flashing light, you're going to stay put? You're probably right. It is safe there. But was is life if not lived for God and His glory?

God has called me to serve Him, and in some ways I do. But there are other things He's called me to do that I sometimes put off or altogether don't do. Either way it's disobedience.
I want to do what is good, but I don't. I don't want to do what is wrong, but I do it anyway. But if I do what I don't want to do, I am not really the one doing wrong; it is sin living in me that does it. (Romans 7:19-20).
But maybe you are sitting at the stop sign because you don't know the direction God wants you to go. And so I will leave you with this.
He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God. (Micah 6:8).
post signature
Original photo via