Thursday, April 16, 2015

Thank You for Snickerdoodles


I wake up. Grab some coffee. Slap on some make up and head out the door. Then I turn around to grab something I forgot. Then I head out the door again. I hop in my car and struggle with which radio station I should listen to or what CD I could play. When I can't make up my mind I just don't play anything. Huh, that's what you get for indecisiveness. And because of this mental struggle, I miss my turn and have to find a light that will let me do a U-turn. But there's none. So I just keep driving till I find one.

I finally show up to church and I'm late. As I hold too many items walking through the hall, my coffee (in slow motion) begins to fall. I catch it. But I catch it upside down. My relieved mind doesn't realize its pouring down all my clothes. And then, because spilling on myself was not embarrassing enough, everybody and their grandma sticks their head out a door to come and see what happened. And life keeps going.

I mention this typical day of mine because this is truly what it tends to be like. I live in imperfection, and a day like this could, if I let it, be the worst day ever.

But it's in the daily grind of life that we truly live, grow, and thrive. Life is not always full of snickerdoodles but rather, the tough, prolonged baking and spilling and adding new ingredients. God is good that He allows for snickerdoodles in our life, but He is even better that He cares enough to teach us and grow us during the baking process.

And we can thank Him also for real actual snickerdoodles, especially when they're fresh.

"... but we also glory in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; perseverance, character; and character, hope. And hope does not put us to shame, because God's love has been poured out into our hearts through the Holy Spirit, who has been given to us," (Romans 5:3-5).
post signature
Original photo via