Saturday, September 19, 2015

The Irish and Honesty


I arrived in Waterford, Ireland just a few days ago and have already learned a very important lesson.

There are a lot of different words and lingos that I am still learning, like what NOT to say and what TO say so I am not rude. There’s also certain people I need to learn to avoid like Gypsies and Travelers who often steal or beg. I still need to learn all the nooks and crannies of this town so I don’t get lost when I’m walking to class or the store.

But most importantly, I think we can all learn a thing or two from the Irish.

The thing with them is that when the Irish get saved here, they get saved. They don’t pretend or put on a façade. They’re honest about their sin and the church doesn’t judge them because they know that only the Holy Spirit can sanctify them.

In America, this isn’t really they case. Nobody is honest about their sin and it’s more hindering than anything. Everyone is fearful of judgment and so we’re not honest and don’t get the help that we may need. Often times we are not even honest with ourselves.

In ways it’s also selfish because we think that we need to have this perfect and good image and we don’t want OUR VERY OWN MISTAKES (which prove we are not good) to ruin that image. We say that our opinion of ourselves is a righteous one. This is very dangerous.

I’ve decided that if I don’t learn another thing while I’m here I will be okay with that. This hypocrisy and dishonesty is something I will choose to fight when I get home. We have the greatest blessing of getting to come to Christ just as we are. Be you. And be honest about who you are. The only opinion that matters anyway is God’s. And only because of Christ have you been made righteous before Him. 
For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God, being justified freely by His grace through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus, (Romans 3:23-24).
 … but where sin abounded, grace abounded much more, (Romans 5:20).
There is therefore no condemnation to those who are in Christ Jesus, who do not walk according to the flesh, but according to the Spirit, (Romans 8:1)
post signature